What is family mediation?
In Florida couples can mediate a divorce without attorneys (a pro se divorce). If litigation is not desired or necessary, family mediation can be a good option. Family mediation helps couples reach an agreement that they both can accept. Together, couples decide the terms of the divorce agreement. Often, couples are able to do this better than a judge. Family mediation helps parents work out how to care for their children after the divorce or separation.
A primary goal of family mediation is to find solutions that are in the best interest of children. Parents can keep some control over the decisions about the lives of their children.
Whether you have children or not, a mediator can assist in finding solutions for you that will help relieve the stress at a time that is very difficult.
Family Mediation is NOT:
- Family mediation is not therapy, marriage counseling, or an attempt to make you reconcile.
- It does not decide who is to blame for the breakdown of the relationship.
- The mediator is not a judge and will not provide legal advice.
- The mediator will not decide how property should be divided.
- The mediator will not decide which parent should be the child’s primary caretaker. Family Mediation provides you with a confidential and effective way to obtain a full legal divorce in less time and with far less pain, less cost and less harm to the children.
Advantages of Mediation:
- Free discussion to determine if mediation is right for you.
- Marital Settlement Agreement is enforceable by law.
- No retainers.
- Reasonable fees.
- Confidential and private.
- Maintain positive resolution of conflict which promotes long term benefits for all parties involved.
Other family disputes that can benefit from mediation include:
- Parent / teen conflicts.
- Sibling disputes.
- Open adoption.
- Pre-nuptial agreements.
- Family estate planning.
- Family group decision making.